Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Jason Mraz


Jason Mraz is an American Songwriter who made his debut with the album Waiting For My Rocket to Come in 2002. In 2005 he was nominated for a Grammy, and since then, he's put out popular hits such as "I'm Yours," and "The Remedy." There are many methods Mraz uses to write his songs, as he discusses. One of the ways he gets his ideas are his experiences traveling the world, but sometimes being a musician skews his down to earth vision. "For me I have always used songwriting as a way to help me organize reality. And sometimes touring can warp reality quite a bit because you are never in one place long enough to get a feel for it. You don’t interact with humans long enough to know what real life is. Especially in touring because a lot of people you run into, want to take a picture or want an autograph and so they put you in a place that they normally don’t put other human beings in. So it gets weird. And that’s why you get a lot of people writing songs about longing and missing people, songs of loneliness when they’re out on the road. I do my best to keep my mind open and I read a lot when I’m out on the road. So I hope I still get good things to write about," he discusses. Jason Mraz always seems to have a positive vibe in his music, rather than discussing heartbreak and anger. This may explain the success that he's received. He believes that the music he writes is an escape from the trend of writing songs about failed love. In other words, he would like to see people look at the brighter side of life more often.


Ultimate-Guitar.com's interview with Jason Mraz is an insightful one. It really expresses Mraz's songwriting secrets as well as his personality. I think most of the questions are excellent, and show the reader a different side of the artist not often expressed in his music. It also asks Mraz about his musical equipment, which may be important to guitar players who want the same sound as him.


"Jason Mraz: 'I'm In The Songwriting Process Constantly'." Ultimate-Guitar. N.p., 07 May 2009. Web. 21 Apr 2010. .

1 comment: